Message from the President
An ancient Greek philosopher once stated that the only constant is change. Looking at the business of healthcare today — including healthcare reform — this sentiment certainly rings true. But instead of viewing change as an adversary, Lakeland HealthCare is approaching change as an opportunity for transformation. We’re designing our future, and we are excited to share our successes and plans with our community.
To help guide us on this transformative path, the Lakeland HealthCare Board of Directors approved new Mission and Vision statements in late 2013:
- Our new Mission is "To enhance health and serve our community"
- Our new Vision is "To positively transform healthcare and the health choices of those we serve and employ"
Of course we remain committed to delivering great healthcare at the best value — earning a place as a 100 Top Hospital in national rankings demonstrates this commitment. But we are uniquely positioned to have an impact on improving the health of those we serve. It’s our mandate and our responsibility. As you’ll find inside this report, we’ve already started to build the structure of our bridge to transformation, including:
- Changing the patient experience. Our “Bring Your Heart to Work” initiative helped us achieve patient satisfaction scores in the 95th percentile.
- Changing how we provide care. We’ve reimagined the possibilities for the spaces in which we provide care, including those for senior services and emergency care.
- Changing how we educate ourselves and our community. We’re growing our Graduate Medical Education Program and using state-of-the-art technology to train our staff. Our patients can keep track of their own medical information through MyChart, and we’ll soon launch a new patient education system called Emmi.
We know change is not always easy, but our physicians, associates, and volunteers are committed to continually invest in ourselves and our services to keep Lakeland HealthCare as the provider of choice for southwest Michigan.
Loren B. Hamel, MD
President & CEO
> Download Report (5MB)