Are you thinking about breastfeeding? The Margaret Beckley Upton Center for Health Enhancement of Lakeland HealthCare offers programs, services, and products to help make the breastfeeding experience beneficial for you and your baby.
Breastfeeding –The Healthiest Choice
The health benefits of breastfeeding for both mother and baby have been widely researched and proven. Lakeland HealthCare encourages you to breastfeed your new baby based on supportive clinical evidence.
How breastfeeding benefits new moms:
- Reduces post-delivery blood loss
- Helps with quicker post-delivery weight loss
- Provides a source of nutrition that is quick, easy, and cost-effective
- Enhances bond between mother and child
- Lowers risk of ovarian and breast cancers
- Reduces the risk of osteoporosis-linked hip fractures later in life
How breastfeeding benefits baby:
- Breast milk helps baby fight illness
- Babies digest breast milk better than formula
- Enhances brain and thought development
Free Breastfeeding Counseling
Breastfeeding consultations can help you during this special time with your baby. If things don’t go as planned, our certified breastfeeding experts can offer help. Only a minor change may be needed to create a positive and successful breastfeeding routine. For more information or to schedule a free appointment, call (269) 927-5355.
Breastfeeding Classes for Moms and Dads
Ongoing breastfeeding classes are offered monthly in Niles and St. Joseph. The classes cover breastfeeding basics including:
- The benefits of breastfeeding
- How to know when your baby is hungry
- Proper latch-on methods
- Checking your baby’s input (feeding) and output (dirty or wet diapers)
- How to prepare for returning to work
For more information or to register, call (269) 556-2808 or (866) 260-7544.
The Breastfeeding Boutique
The Breastfeeding Boutique at the Center for Outpatient Services, St. Joseph located at 3900 Hollywood Road carries a full line of Medela® products to further assist moms who are breastfeeding. The boutique is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Center for Outpatient Services
Free services include:
- Private consultations with a breastfeeding counselor by appointment
- Baby weight assessment checks to confirm adequate input (feeding)
- Custom fittings to ensure the proper nursing bra fit
- Product delivery to moms at Lakeland’s Niles and St. Joseph hospitals.
For same day delivery call, (269) 556-2808 by 10:00 a.m.
Breast pump rentals
Breast pump rental is a nice option for new moms who want to see that breastfeeding will work before committing to a large purchase. It may also help those who cannot afford $200 or more at one time to buy a breast pump. Breast pump rental is easy on your budget because you pay as you go. Powerful, hospital-grade breast pumps are also good for new mothers who are pumping to establish a milk supply, such as moms of NICU babies.
For more information on products The Breastfeeding Boutique carries, view this brochure whole here. For the Breast pump rental agreement, click here. Click here to search and see when our next availble classes are.