Do these exercises three to four times a day for ve to 10 minutes.
Pursed Lip Breathing
Breathing this way uses less energy and helps you get more air in your lungs.
- Breathe in and slowly through your nose for one count.
- Purse your lips like you are going to whistle.
- Breathe out slowly through pursed lips for two counts. Let air come out on its own. Do not force it out.
STOP if you feel dizzy. Slow down your breathing.
Breathing from Your Diaphragm
Using the muscle below your ribs to help you breathe can help get more air into your lungs.
- Put one hand on your upper chest and one on your stomach.
- Breathe in slowly through your nose. You should feel the hand on your stomach moving out. The hand on your chest should not move.
- Breathe out slowly through your pursed lips. You should feel the hand on your stomach move in as you breathe out.
Coughing and Deep Breathing
Sit up in a chair with one hand on your upper chest, the other below your ribs.
- Breathe in slowly through your nose pushing your stomach out against your hand. The hand on your chest should remain still.
- Hold your breath for two seconds.
- Cough two to three times. Use your stomach muscles to help you cough.
- Check the color of any mucus you cough up. If it is yellow, green, bloody, or has an odor, call your doctor