Treating Skin Cancer
The treatment you receive depends on several factors including your overall health, stage of the disease and whether the cancer has spread to other parts of your body. Treatments are often combined and can include:
- Radiation therapy where the cancer cells are killed by X-rays.
- Surgery where the cancer cells are cut out and removed.
- Electrodessication where the cancer is dried with an electric current and removed.
- Cryosurgery where the cancer is frozen and removed.
- Laser surgery where the cancer cells are killed by laser beams.
- Chemotherapy where the cancer cells are attacked by a drug that is either taken internally or applied on the skin.
- Photodynamic therapy where the cancer is covered with a drug that becomes active when exposed to light.
- Biologic therapy where doctors help your immune system better fight the cancer.