Fitness Designed with You in Mind
What is Medical Fitness?
A medical fitness center utilizes an individual’s unique medical profile to design a safe and medically supervised fitness program to achieve optimal health. The medical fitness program at Lakeland is open to anyone interested in responsible fitness, but is designed primarily for individuals with medical risk factors due to injury, illness, disease, disability or age.
The Medical Fitness Difference
The Lakeland medical fitness center strives to provide a friendly, safe environment and a staff knowledgeable in medical risk factors and safe exercise principles to help you meet your individual goals for fitness and wellness. Athletic trainers are also available for individual or group instruction and motivation, or if a member requires physical assistance with their exercise program.
ASSESSMENT: With a medical fitness assessment, highly trained and certified exercise specialists review your medical profile using the latest technology to test for strength, flexibility, cardiovascular endurance and body composition. The information obtained provides a precise assessment of your current level of fitness and will be used to design and monitor an individual exercise program. This process ensures the lowest possible risk of injury and maximizes the health benefits of fitness.
STAFF: All of the medical fitness staff are four-year college graduates who are certified by the American College of Sports Medicine, the National Strength and Conditioning Association, the American Physical Therapy Association or the National Athletic Trainers Association. They also have specialized knowledge in rehabilitation, sports performance enhancement, and injury prevention.
EQUIPMENT: With special cardiovascular and weight training equipment designed for rehabilitation and ease of accessibility, clients are able to start their programs with very low weights and progress with very small increments.
- Initiation Fee* $100.00 (includes detailed assessment by exercise specialist)
- Monthly Fee** $45.00
DISCOUNTS OFF INITIATION FEE:
- 25% Senior Citizens
- 50% Lakeland associates, physicians, volunteers and/or their spouses
- 10% Two or more people who join together
*Waived for those individuals coming straight from a Lakeland rehabilitation program.
**$5.00 discount per month if payment is automated through monthly bank account withdrawal, credit card billing or pre-paid for six months or greater.
The First Steps
The 7,700-square-foot Lakeland Orthopedic Physical Therapy facility is located at 3950 Hollywood Road, Suite 140, next to Lakeland Center for Outpatient Services in St. Joseph and has easy accessibility. A medical release or prescription from your physician will be required prior to your first visit. For your comfort during the initial assessment, please wear loose-fitting clothes and tennis/walking shoes. For your convenience we have changing rooms and showers, as well as lockers and towels available.
- Treadmills start slowly, 0.5 mph
- Recumbent bikes or steppers have wide and comfortable seats with arm rests
- There is an extensive screening and assessment process: balance, functional abilities, osteoporosis
- The facility’s strength building equipment has low starting weights and simple diagrams for correct usage information
- The facility offers programs designed to meet the needs of those with a variety of chronic conditions: osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, balance abnormalities, muscular weakness
- The staff is certified by a nationally recognized senior fitness organization to work with people who have various health issues that may arise with age: osteoporosis, hypertension, arthritis
Lakeland’s Medical Fitness Program meets and exceeds the International Council on Active Aging (ICAA) guidelines for an older adult fitness facility.
For more information, contact:
Lakeland Orthopedic Physical Therapy, St. Joseph
Click here to download a brochure about Lakeland Medical Fitness.