Lakeland Intermediate Feeding Experience (LIFE)
Welcome to LIFE, the Lakeland Intermediate Feeding Experience program offered by Lakeland Rehabilitation.
This feeding program is designed to help children overcome difficulties eating as a result of sensory, medical, oral motor, or behavioral issues.
Our trained speech-language pathologists and occupational therapists evaluate every child to determine the most appropriate individualized feeding program. Treatments may include sensory integration, behavioral modification, oral motor training, and family education.
Committing to the feeding program takes discipline – meaning, each child, depending on the type of session suggested by clinicians, is expected to be seen one to two times a day, two to four days
a week, with their caregiver present. Each Lakeland Intermediate Feeding Experience lasts four to six weeks.
Referrals are made to the clinic by your physician; you may be referred to other specialists to assist with increasing your child’s success. We will help you coordinate these services if needed. We use a team approach to provide the best care and outcome for your child.
Does your child demonstrate any of the following feeding concerns?
- Frequently cries during mealtime or refuses food
- Requires supplements such as Pediasure, Boost, etc.
- Unable to gain weight or difficultly maintaining weight
- Frequent bouts of spitting up or vomiting associated with eating
- Diagnosed with “failure to thrive” or “dysphagia”
- Diagnosed with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Gags when trying a new food
- Difficulty weaning off of a feeding tube
- Has a structural abnormality such as a cleft palate making it difficult to eat
- Limited by picky eating (eats 10 foods or less, only eats from one to two food groups)
Finding a Solution
If your child demonstrates one or more of these concerns, we may be able to help you find a solution. Pediatric feeding issues are on the rise and finding the right help can seem overwhelming.
Please contact your pediatrician for a referral to our feeding program at either our Coloma or St. Joseph location, whichever is more convenient for you and your family, and we will contact you to set up an evaluation.
7040 Red Arrow Highway
Coloma, MI 49038
Phone: (269) 468-4318
3774 Hollywood Road
St. Joseph, MI 49085
Phone: (269) 428-2799