Breast Changes that Need Attention
Healthy breasts come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and textures. It is important to know what’s normal for your breasts so that you can quickly notice any changes. Consult your healthcare provider if you find any of the following during your Breast Self-Examination or at any other time.
- Distinct, single lumps that feel hard, like a knot; or thickened areas
- Changes in breast shape such as swelling, dimpling (depression), bulges, or flattening. Also, any pain in one spot that does not go away
- Changes in skin texture or color, including redness or “orange peel,” darkening (pebbly) skin, roughness or puckering
- Sudden bloody or cloudy discharge
- Change in nipple location
- Breasts that are itchy, scaly, or breast sores that don’t heal on the nipple