A growing body of scientific evidence suggests that the quality of care for inpatients is strongly influenced by the availability of physicians whose primary professional focus is the medical care of hospitalized patients. The medical staff at Lakeland Regional Medical Center, St. Joseph includes four intensivists who provide 24/7 coverage for the hospital's 17-bed critical care unit. Additionally, eight hospitalists are on staff to assist primary care physicians and specialists in the management of their hospitalized patients.
Lakeland Regional Medical Center, St. Joseph began an intensivist program more than eight years ago. The intensivists provide full-time direct care and serve as consultants to primary and specialty care physicians for all patients admitted to the critical care unit. Intensivists at Lakeland provide leadership for the entire critical care team, furnishing patients with continuous and consistent care and facilitating communication among primary care physicians, specialists, patients and their families.
Hospitalists continually treat the most common reasons for admission, which gives them extended clinical knowledge of these conditions and issues involved with managing patients with multiple co-morbidities. Hospitalists not only become familiar with the flow of patients through the hospital, but are often well-versed in a wide range of healthcare industry issues, such as payer/insurance rules, state and federal regulations, public health initiatives, and healthcare legislation.
The hospitalists at Lakeland HealthCare offer numerous benefits to primary and specialty care physicians. Their support can:
- Enable physicians to spend more time with their office patients
- Offer flexibility in scheduling
- Act as a referral source for new patients
- Perform pre-procedural risk assessments, avoiding surgical delays
- Allow specialists to focus on procedural work by addressing routine medical issues
- Coordinate care management
- Act as a liaison between all members of the physician care team to ensure optimal patient care
- Provide more immediate response to inpatient emergencies
- Facilitate the admission and discharge process
Medical Director Hospitalist
Mark Harrison, MD......................(269) 542-1198 or (269) 687-1851