Your Passion to Help Lory's Place Makes Our Community a Wonderful Place to Live
At Lory's Place there is never any charge for our services or programs. This is possible because so many people believe in and support what we do. Our volunteers are the lifeblood of Lory's Place.
These generous men and women serve in many capacities. Some help us as trained support group facilitators. Others serve as our Crew that helps with community-awareness and fundraising activities. And others guide us on our advisory board. We hope you will share your time and talents with us, too.
Peer Group Facilitators Make the Grief Journey Easier
"I am so glad that there is a place like this for me and others to come and talk about our losses."
-Tiny Mates Participant
If you are interested in participating in this training please complete our Peer Group Facilitator Application. Peer Group Facilitators are the heart of Lory's Place. Without them, we could not operate. If you are interested in joining our team, we welcome your help.
Please take a few minutes to review our guidelines and expectations outlined below.
How You Will Help
The primary role of the Peer Group Facilitator is "to make it easier" for the children and adults who are on their grief journeys. As a facilitator, you will embrace the Lory's Place peer support group model. It emphasizes that each individual who joins our groups has an innate capacity to seek and find both resolution and reconciliation with life's painful realities. You will trust in the individual's unique process of adjustment, growth and timing. You will understand the peer support process and recognize you are not acting in a role as a counselor. As a facilitator you will companion which Dr. Alan Wolfelt explains, "Companioning is about being present to another person's pain; it is not about taking away the pain."
At all times you will have at heart the best interests of our adult and children participants. To truly be a helping presence you will commit to the following guidelines and expectations.
- Complete an interactive, extensive training.
- Commit to facilitating peer support groups for one year and devote 6 hours per month to Lory's Place.
- Attend each assigned session. This is essential to the trust established at Lory's Place. If you cannot attend your session, you will agree to find your own replacement and inform the Lory's Place office of the substitution. If you do not find a replacement, this will be considered an absence. More than three absences are considered excessive and will be handled on an individual basis.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the Lory's Place Volunteer Facilitator Manual.
- Be responsible to Lory's Place Program Director and/or Family Services Coordinator. This holds true whether you work with children or adults.
- Respect confidentiality, except in cases of suicide ideation, child abuse, chemical dependency on the part of a child or adolescent, or harm by one child to the next. You immediately will report all concerns regarding safety issues to the Family Services Coordinator or Program Director.
- Attend both pre- and post-meetings on time, as this is a critical piece in your ability to best help families, as well as your own self-care.
- Not establish personal/intimate relationships with participants during or after program services.
- Note and discuss individual children's needs with the Program Director and/or Family Services Coordinator.
- Direct parental questions and concerns regarding their child to the Program Director and/or Family Services Coordinator.
- Log the time spent at Lory's Place on the sign-in sheet at the front door.
- Be with the participants you are assigned to during the evening, so that no participant is ever without an adult.
- Be responsible for children cleaning up prior to closing. If the space has not been returned to its original state you will clean the space after the post-meeting.
- Hold to time limits.
- You will have the Lory's Place staff preview all materials you bring to share with your group.
- Implement the "Safety Guidelines."
- Implement the "Essential Skills of Facilitating" effectively.
- Establish a climate of trust and safety.
- Demonstrate caring, respect and understanding for all persons.
- Deal with barriers to communication.
- Be directly involved in the group process by sharing concisely your personal thoughts, feelings and impressions of what is happening in the group.
- Be aware of your own biases and will not inflict your opinions and values upon participants and other facilitators.
- Understand the importance of closing and will give two weeks notice of your departure.
- Be the best models and ask for help when you need it.
The Crew Helps Tell Our Story to the Community
"Thank you so much for taking the time to show me Lory's Place. To see it firsthand and hear such touching stories, makes it all the more impressive. Our community is very lucky to have Lory's Place and the passion of all those involved."
The Lory's Place Crew is a group of volunteers who are dedicated to supporting the Center's mission and services. As a Crew member you can help us in two valuable ways:
- Engage in public relations activities to ensure that the community is aware of Lory's Place and its services.
- Help us with fundraising activities and events throughout the year. You'll find our Crew members' creativity makes our activities fun and successful.
Crew membership is open to anyone who is interested in supporting Lory's Place. Regularly scheduled Crew luncheon meetings provide time to plan activities and discuss details of upcoming events. You are always welcome to come as our guest to these meetings to learn about the Crew and its activities.
Two Membership Levels Respect Your Time and Talent
- Active Members participate in all the activities of the group; the annual membership dues are $25.
- Associate Members participate in some activities; the annual membership dues are $50.
If you would like to know more about joining our Crew, please call (800) 717-3812 or (269) 983-2707. Or, to join now, print and complete our Crew Membership Form and mail it with a check for your annual dues to:
Lory's Place – The Crew
445 Upton Drive, Ste. 9
St. Joseph, MI 49085