To make it easier for your family, we offer peer support groups at schools and community organizations.
Every grieving child and adult needs support when a loved one dies — Lory's Place offers outreach programs providing grief support to area schools and community organizations.
Join a peer group at your local school
Lory's Place offers regularly scheduled sessions at the schools listed below. Each session brings children together who are grieving after the death of a family member or friend. These sessions are open not only to children who attend sessions at Lory's Place, but also to children who cannot come to Lory's Place because of transportation problems, work or schedule conflicts. Our professional bereavement staff members and trained volunteers facilitate the school group sessions. These peer group sessions are a safe, comfortable place for your child to share feelings, do grief-healing activities and receive the empathy, advice and hope needed for the grief journey.
"I think the school group is awesome because it helps me with the pain and feelings."
13-year-old middle school student
In addition to the peer support groups, Lory's Place also works with area schools during times of community crisis or tragedy. We can assist administrators, counselors and teachers with resources and education programs so they can provide support for grieving students. And we can give age-appropriate educational presentations to help all students understand grief and the healing process.
"I like having a school group, because I can talk about my dad and no one will get mad at me, and I won't make anyone sad."
An elementary student
2017-2018 Community Outreach Programs:
- Ballard Elementary-Elementary (Niles)
- Baseline Middle (South Haven)
- Brandywine Elementary
- Brandywine Middle/High
- Bridgman Elementary-Lower
- Bridgman Elementary-Upper
- Bridgman High
- Brown Elementary (St. Joseph)
- Buchanan Middle School
- Catholic Community Center (Benton Harbor)
- Chikaming Elementary
- Coloma Elementary-Lower
- Coloma Elementary-Upper
- Coloma Junior/Senior High
- Countryside Elementary-Upper
- Countryside Middle
- Countryside High
- Covert Elementary
- Covert Middle/High
- Eastside Academy (Niles)
- Eau Claire High
- Eau Claire Middle
- E.P. Clarke Elementary (St. Joseph)
- FC Reed Middle (Bridgman)
- Hollywood Elementary(Lakeshore)
- Howard Elementary (Niles)
- Lawton Elementary
- Lawton Middle
- Lincoln Elementary (St. Joseph)
- Merritt Elementary (Brandywine)
- MLK Academy (Benton Harbor)
- Moccasin Elementary (Buchanan)
- New Buffalo Elementary
- Niles High
- North Elementary (Watervliet)
- North Shore Elementary (South Haven)
- Oak Manor Elementary (Niles)
- Readiness Center (Benton Harbor)
- Ring Lardner Middle School (Niles)
- River Valley Middle/High
- Roosevelt Elementary (Lakeshore)
- Sister Lakes Elementary
- South Elementary (Watervliet)
- St. Joseph High
- Stewart Elementary(Lakeshore)
- Sylvester Elementary (Berrien Springs)
- Three Oaks Elementary
- Upton Middle School (St. Joseph)
- Watervliet Middle
If your school does not offer a grief support group and you would like us to offer one, please contact us. If you are a teacher and would like additional resources for your classroom, or to arrange a classroom presentation, call (800) 717-3812. We are ready to help you and your children.
Grief Support within our Communities
Lory's Place provides support for organizations and businesses following a tragedy or crisis. We can help if your team is anticipating the death of a colleague or help you work through your grief if a co-worker dies. Our professional bereavement staff or trained facilitators are also available to do educational presentations on grief healing. Contact us to learn more.